Lamps and lighting can totally change the look and feel of a room. Lamps are also an easy and affordable way to switch up the look in your home if you are wanting a change or something different. We always have a wide variety of styles of lamps available at evolution home, from vintage lamps to modern quality crafted lamps.
We also carry chandeliers, wall sconces and floor lamps. Below we discuss several ways to use lamps in decorating and, we also have photos above of lamps in stock at evolution home and inspirations for how to use them that we pulled from Pinterest!
Here are a few fresh ideas for using lamps:
1. Use lamps to coordinate colors.
Use the base of the lamp or the shade to incorporate a color scheme or give the room a pop of color. In the Pinterest photos pictured above, we like the chartreuse lamp in a brown and earth toned room as a pop of color and the patterned lamp next to the ikat drapes.
2. Switch up shades to freshen your look.
The gray chevron lamp shade looks so fresh on the vintage milk glass lamp pictured above. You can easily switch out the lamp shades on a neutral lamp to switch your look as often as you want.
3. Use glass or mercury glass lamps to keep a space looking open or place a mirror behind the lamp.
Using a glass or mercury glass lamp in a corner can keep that corner looking open and light instead of heavy. Also, placing mirrors behind lamps reflects light and keeps a room bright.
4. Lamps outside!
Wouldn’t we all love to have a patio or garden spot with lamps? We love bringing the outdoors in and the indoors out!
5. Lamps on a stack of books or mags.
Sometimes lamps need a little height to properly light a room or wall. Artfully stacking books or magazines is a great way to give lamps height while adding layers and texture to your decor.
6. Drape a lampshade for softer light.
Sometimes the light shed from a lamp can be to bright, draping vintage lace, doilies or scarves over the lamp can soften the light and add a nice romantic, cozy look and feel.
Hopefully you find some inspiration in these ideas for incorporating lamps into your home decor. Half the fun of decorating your home is trying new ideas to see how they work – some do, some don’t. And that’s why we are here! As your resource for great finds for your home.
Browse more of our inventory this week here, find us on Facebook here and follow us on instagram @evolutionhome!
Decorating with vintage pieces can sometimes be a challenge. You want to incorporate a particular look, but you aren’t sure how to get it. Or you want to use a vintage piece – but you aren’t show how to use it.
We rounded up a few fabulous ideas from Pinterest for how to incorporate vintage chairs into your home. Here are our favorites:
1. Use different colors, sizes & styles of chairs at your dining room table.
We just love this look. It is eclectic but if the chairs are selected properly and with a creative eye, it creates an eye-popping look and an interesting focal point.
2. Reupholstering a piece that looks dated.
Sometimes what makes a vintage piece look “old” or “outdated” is just the worn out fabric or no-longer-stylish print. Recovering or reupholstering a dated piece in a modern fabric gives it a fresh new look fit for any stylish home. We love a floral or stripe print fabric!
3. Fluffing up your piece with coordinating pillows.
We have a whole blog post about how pillows can give a room new life, read it here.
4. Using a vintage armchair in an unexpected way.
Like as a desk chair, or as an accent to to a display of wall art – especially if the colors coordinate.
We hope you found some inspiration from our ideas – for more photos of chairs we have in the store click here and for more inspiration on how to use them in your home, click here.
We are open Saturday 10am-6pm & Sunday 11am-5pm, we hope to see you this weekend!
A popular trend in vintage decor is finding new ways to use furniture. From repurposing pieces to using furniture in creative ways – we are seeing some truly unique and innovative ideas. Armoires and dressers are among the most utilitarian pieces of furniture. They offer storage and tons of options with drawers, doors and more. Here are five creative ways to use dressers and armoires in your home!
1. Use an armoire as an office.
Small spaces are usually the biggest challenge here in Alexandria – maximizing every inch of space is so important. Transforming an armoire into a concealable office is a great way to get a clean workspace that doesn’t require a whole room.
2. In the bathroom as a vanity or sink.
We’ve seen this done before and LOVE the idea. It harkens back to the days of wash basins and gives a lovely peronal touch to a bathroom. Not to mention a truly unique way to get a custom look on a budget!
3. A dresser in your closet.
This is an idea that surprised us. Closets can be a messy place and difficult to organize, especially in the older, smaller homes common in Alexandria. Using a dresser in the closet can help utilize some of that extra space. It can also make a smaller room feel larger if you take the closet door off and place the dresser inside.
4. Use a dresser in the kitchen – yes in the kitchen!
We love this innovative idea – using a dresser in a kitchen as an island! By simply adding a marble top and few extra fixtures, you can give a beautiful vintage dresser a new home in an unexpected place.
5. Repurpose a dresser for a new use, like a wine rack.
With a little elbow grease and some imagination, a dresser can easily be repurposed into a wine rack! What a great way to give an old piece of furniture a new life.
Now, take a look at the fabulous dressers and armoires available in the shop this week! Perfect for all of these ideas!
We hope we inspired you to try something new with your furniture, share a project or photo with us here: email@example.com!
Make new friends but keep the old, one is silver and the other is gold and copper and bronze and brass! Mixing metals is a hot trend in home decor right now. Above are several great examples of mixing metal furniture and accessories we found on Pinterest. Switching out a few small accessories can make a big impact – but you can also make a state mixing larger pieces, like metal chairs and a wood dining table.
We love the idea of gold and brass frames mixed with small silver accessories for a little change. Or a chic gold vase inside an industrial steel basket. Mixing metals keeps things interesting!
Mixing metals adds a richness to your interior. We love that the “matchy-matchy” trends of yore are out the window. It is so much more exciting to see many different textures and layers in home decor. Metals can also be mixed with other non-metal accessories – like wood and linen. For example, metal dining chairs and a wood dining table or a rich wood dresser with a gold mirror, a silver tray and copper candlesticks.
We hope you are feeling inspired to try something new with your home decor. Shop Evolution Home for great deals on chic pieces! Check even more inspiring ideas on our Pinterest board!
After scouring the internet for the hottest interior design trends of 2014 – we found some surprising vintage items made the list.
1. Decorating with copper. Copper has become the newest chic metallic for this season. Good thing you’ll find gorgeous, well-made vintage pieces in our shop. Check out the photos above for inspiration on how to use it.
2. Honey-toned woods. Mid century modern designers embraced the honey-toned woods in many ways, like the beautiful dining table pictured above. Stop in our shop and find fabulous pieces from our dealer Acme Mid-Century Modern.
3. Hanging Macrame! A total retro look – DIY macrame has made a huge comeback. Vintage pieces look fabulous as well as new ones, like the fresh macrame curtain pictured above.
Will you go for these trends in 2014? Share a photo with us and we’ll post it on our Facebook page, firstname.lastname@example.org.
New Years Eve is a wonderful opportunity to break out your vintage glassware, trays and barware to throw a swanky party! Here are few ideas to add some vintage glam to your New Years celebration:
– Serve champagne in a variety of vintage glassware, different sizes and shapes, to create a whimsical feel.
– Decorate your mantle or table centerpiece with vintage clocks – if they don’t run, carefully turn the dials to midnight!
– Make paper hats out of old sheet music – we have loads of it and Evolution Home in the consignment warehouse, for very good prices. (How to make paper hat tutorial here.)
– Use vintage watches as napkin rings – let your guests keep them as favors, too!
– Serve small bites or drinks on vintage silver serving trays – it adds a touch of glamour. Check out some great recipes for easy small bites here. And some favorite NYE cocktails here.
– Fill space with gold or silver balloons – you can purchase DIY helium kits at Party City here. Tie the balloons at different heights using ribbon and anchors like chocolates or empty champagne or wine bottles.
Ring in 2014 with these fabulous vintage party ideas and you’ll be greeting the new year in style. We hope you have a wonderful New Year and wish you good health, good fortune and lots of great vintage buys in the New Year! Happy New Year from Evolution Home!